My Life As A Princess

Okay, I'm not really a princess but it's definitely a close call. This blog is a product of love. Everybody should know about the cool things in life and sometimes also about the not-so-cool.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Sad & Beautiful

My sister, Meli and I visited the Getty Museum on Saturday. We had reservations to the Getty Villa but with the rain and the fact that I can never seem to leave my castle on time, halfway to point B we realized we'd never make it so we exited the freeway right on time to make it to our alternate choice.

It turned out to be perfect! In recent acquisitions they had an exhibit by 4 mid-career American photographers who share a commitment to observing the people and places that define their community. Mary Ellen Mark's work was the most appealing to me, she photographs people outside America's mainstream culture and on this particular series she documents the phenomenon of adolescents who left their family and home in favor of life on the streets. Every picture has a story behind it and having the visual paired up with the reality made it fascinating.

This exhibit will run through February 4th. You don't have much time so go see it now.


"I wasn't even thinking about running away or nothin'. But my dad told me that if I ever got caught selling pot, never come home 'cause he'd kill me. So when it all came down, I just said, 'oh, well'." RAT

*Source: Mary Ellen Mark

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home